Could not enforce arrest warrant on Kasab, Ansari: Pak Court told
The Pakistani anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of seven suspects charged with involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks was on Saturday informed by the prosecution that it could not serve the arrest warrants issued for Ajmal Kasab and Fahim Ansari.world Updated: Nov 13, 2010 16:01 IST
The Pakistani anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of seven suspects charged with involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks was on Saturday informed by the prosecution that it could not serve the arrest warrants issued for Ajmal Kasab and Fahim Ansari.
The prosecution team informed Judge Malik Muhammad Akram Awan that the warrants issued by the anti-terrorism court for Kasab and Ansari, currently in the custody of Indian authorities, could not be served or enforced.
The prosecution also informed the judge that the Indian authorities had refused to hand over the two key witnesses and they could not be tried in Pakistan along with the seven suspects, including Lashker-e-Taiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, sources told PTI.
Following this declaration by the prosecution, the judge adjourned the case till November 23.
Pakistani national Kasab, the lone surviving attacker, has been convicted and sentenced to death by a special court in Mumbai, which also acquitted Ansari.
However, Ansari continues to be in custody in connection with other charges.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik recently admitted that the trial of the seven suspects had stalled and it was imperative for a commission to visit India and record the testimony of key witnesses, including Kasab.
However, lawyers defending the suspects have refused to be part of the commission.
The trial of the Pakistani suspects has been mired in controversy and delays since last year.
The court has completed recording the testimony of only one out of over 160 witnesses so far.