Dalai Lama rules out more concessions | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 06, 2016-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Dalai Lama rules out more concessions

world Updated: Apr 14, 2008 23:03 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

The Dalai Lama has ruled out any more "concessions" to China on Tibet and threatened to resign as leader of Tibet's exiled government if violence in his Himalayan homeland went "out of control."

"If violence becomes out of control then my only option is to resign," the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader told reporters on the sidelines of a five-day conference on compassion in Seattle.

"If the majority of people commit violence, then I resign," the 72-year-old Nobel Peace Prize laureate said on his first visit to the United States since the recent Chinese crackdown on dissent in Tibet.

The Dalai Lama said he was fully committed to his "middle way" approach to Tibet's relationship with China. "I am fully committed to middle approach; further more concessions, I don't know," he said.

"Our struggle is with a few in the leadership of the People's Republic of China and not with the Chinese people," the Dalai Lama said in a statement.

However, he expressed fears that suppression in Tibet may increase if the present situation continues.

"I am very much concerned that the Chinese government will unleash more force and increase the suppression of Tibetan people," he said.

The Dalai Lama also said his representatives were holding "private talks" with Beijing following the eruption of protests in Tibet last month against the Chinese rule.

Describing the talks as "some efforts" through "private channels", the Dalai Lama said, the talks were "still in full mystery. I don't want any speculation", the Seattle Times reported.

However, he said he himself had no direct contact.