Death toll from bridge collapse rises | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 22, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Death toll from bridge collapse rises

Death toll from the collapse of a bridge in Vietnam last week rose to 53 after another body was pulled from the rubble and an injured victim died in the hospital.

world Updated: Oct 04, 2007 15:36 IST

The death toll from the collapse of a bridge in Vietnam last week rose to 53 after another body was pulled from the rubble and an injured victim died in hospital, officials said on Thursday.



A body was recovered at the accident site on Wednesday afternoon, said Nguyen Van Cong, a transportation ministry spokesman. Another worker died of serious brain injuries on Wednesday at the Military Hospital in Can Tho, said Dr Nguyen Van Sem.



The September 26 accident left about 80 others injured, many in a serious condition. One other person is still missing, Cong said.



All the victims were Vietnamese workers helping construct the 2.75-kilometre (1.7-mile) bridge, which will link the southern province of Vinh Long and Can Tho, the biggest city in the Mekong Delta.



The workers were building a 100-meter (yard) section of the bridge, one of the largest construction projects in Vietnam.



Authorities were still investigating the cause of the accident, Cong said.



The work is being done by a consortium of three Japanese firms, Taisei Corp, Kajima Corp And Nippon Steel Corp. A fourth Japanese firm, Nippon Koei-Chodai, is the chief consultant on the USD 218 million (euro153 million) project, which was largely funded by the Japan Bank for International Cooperation.