Thousands of mourners marched on Sunday in the Egyptian canal city of Port Said at the funeral of the 35 people killed in clashes triggered by death sentences given to 21 football fans for a last year’s post-match riot.
The bodies were carried in open coffins along the city during which a brief burst of gunfire set off chaotic scenes before calm was restored.
Condemning the clashes that also left over 300 people injured yesterday, the Presidency called for a national dialogue in the wake of the ongoing unrest.
In a statement, it also praised police and judiciary for their integrity. The Presidency's statement came as the health ministry said the death toll in the fierce clashes between protesters and security forces in Port Said had climbed to 35.
Chaos broke out soon after a court on Saturday handed down the death penalty to 21 fans of Port Said club Al-Masry over the killing of 74 people in violence last February following a game with Cairo side Al-Ahly.