With the retrieval of five more bodies on Tuesday, the death toll from the recent deadly landslide in northern China has risen to 259, the state media said.
Rescuers retrieved a man's body this afternoon, lying beside a collapsed iron ore dump. Four bodies were recovered in the morning, with three of them excavated from a collapsed house and the other found in the debris outside, the Xinhua news agency said.
A mudflow hit the area on the morning of September 8 after the collapse of a retaining pond at an unlicensed iron ore dump.
More than 300 rescuers and more than 30 pieces of machinery are being used in the search for other possible victims in the debris in the Shanxi Province.
At present, 34 people remained in hospital and four patients who had been in critical condition were temporarily upgraded to stable, the report said.
Compensation of about $29,200 will be paid to the families of each victim. Each person disabled by the accident will also get compensated, according to disaster-relief policies released by the local government on Tuesday.
More than 400 local government officials have been dispatched to help the victims' families, Xinhua said.
Meanwhile, a probe was under way by an investigation team of the State Council, China's Cabinet. The government has ordered a nationwide safety check at such sites for potential problems.