The deputy UN special envoy to Afghanistan will not be returning to his post in Kabul following a row with his boss over the country's fraud-tainted election, a UN official said on Wednesday.
Peter Galbraith, who left Kabul earlier this month after a dispute over how fraud allegations in the election should be dealt with, "won't be coming back to Kabul," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
It was not clear if Galbraith, an American, had been sacked from his post, which he had only held for a few months, or if he would be moved to another position within the United Nations.
UN officials in Kabul told AFP that Galbraith's status was unclear.
"We're aware of the reports and an announcement of this nature would come from the secretary general's office in New York," spokesman Dan McNorton said.
"At this stage there has been no announcement," he added.
The BBC's website quoted an email it said had been received from Galbraith, in which he said: "The secretary general appointed me and has not fired me so far as I know."
Differences between Galbraith and the UN's special representative to Afghanistan, Kai Eide, became public earlier this month, when Galbraith abruptly left Kabul to return to the United States.