The US embassy in Cairo has resumed normal operations and diplomats and dependents who were sent home in February amid widespread unrest can now return, the State Department said on Thursday.
The State Department "alerts US citizens that, given the continuing improvements since the January 25 revolution, the ordered departure status for the US embassy has been lifted as of April 29, 2011," the statement read.
The State Department ordered all non-emergency government personnel and family members to depart from Egypt on February 1 because of the political and social unrest sweeping the country.
Most non-emergency US embassy personnel had already returned by late March, the State Department said in a March 29 travel warning.
The Thursday statement warns, however, that Egyptian security services "have not yet fully redeployed," so the State Department "alerts US citizens planning to travel to Egypt to the possibility of sporadic unrest."
The State Department also "strongly urges US citizens to avoid all demonstrations in Egypt, as even peaceful ones can quickly become violent and a foreigner could become a target of harassment or worse."
Nevertheless security at tourist sites such as Luxor, Aswan, and the Red Sea resorts, including Sharm el Sheikh, "continues to be calm," the statement read.