Taliban militants launched a series of coordinated attacks across Kabul on Sunday, targeting at least three neighbourhoods in the capital that are home to Afghan government buildings, Western embassies and NATO bases.
There were no immediate reports of people killed in the fighting, although health officials said at least five people had been wounded. NATO forces said in a statement that as many as seven locations were under attack across the capital.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the ongoing assault in a text message to The Associated Press. He said armed suicide bombers launched an attack on the NATO forces headquarters, the parliament building across town and a number of diplomatic residences in Kabul.
Over 10 blasts in all rocked the capital, and heavy gunfire shook the city for more than an hour after the initial blast. Smoke rose over the skyline from a few spots as sirens wailed. Three other eastern cities also came under attack at about the same time Sunday, but there were few details and the fighting was still going on.
Karzai under lockdown
President Hamid Karzai was moved to a safe area and his palace went into lockdown as Kabul was hit Sunday by attacks including a failed attempt to target one of his deputies. The president was discussing the budget with lawmakers when explosions rocked Kabul.