* Leaders of the civil rights movement in the United States, Martin Luther King and James Lawson, drew from the writings of Gandhi in the development of their own theories about non-violence.
* Anti-apartheid activist and former President of South Africa, Nelson Mandela, was inspired by Gandhi.
* Albert Einstein once called Gandhi "a role model for the generations to come" in a letter writing about him.
* British musician John Lennon referred to Gandhi as an influence on his music.
* Former US Vice-President and environmentalist Al Gore also acknowledges Gandhi's influence on him.
* Prior to his becoming the President of the United States, then-Senator Barack Obama noted that: "Throughout my life, I have always looked to Mahatma Gandhi as an inspiration, because he embodies the kind of transformational change that can be made when ordinary people come together to do extraordinary things. That is why his portrait hangs in my Senate office: to remind me that real results will come not just from Washington – they will come from the people."
* Amongst other world leaders who found inspiration and hope in Gandhi and his works include Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi and Philippine leader Benigno Aquino, Jr.