Pakistan on Thursday handed over its preliminary investigation report into the attack on Sri Lankan cricketers to the island nation blaming it on a "foreign hand" but admitting it was a "total security lapse".
Interior Ministry Chief Rehman Malik shared the findings of the probe with Sri Lankan High Commissioner Jayalath Weerakkody and handed over him the report during a meeting yesterday, the Dawn newspaper said.
The paper quoted sources as saying that the preliminary investigations had "indicated a total security lapse and involvement of (a) foreign hand".
"The meeting was held in a very cordial atmosphere in which latest position of investigations came under discussion," a spokesman for the interior ministry said.
The report said the police force deployed for the security of the cricket team was inadequate. It said additional police did not reach the site on time to provide back-up to the police party that fought the terrorists for about half an hour.
The report revealed that the attack was planned in and financed by some foreign country and was carried out by militants from the South Waziristan tribal region, it said.
The report said police had so far failed to arrest even a single attacker despite having detained five suspects who allegedly helped the terrorists in carrying out the attack.