Four Indians die of gas poisoning in Bahrain | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Four Indians die of gas poisoning in Bahrain

world Updated: Jan 24, 2012 14:12 IST
PTI
Highlight Story

Four Indians working as labourers in Bahrain have died of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning in the country's Hamad Town.

Police said the men never woke up after lighting a wood fire in an empty paint drum before going to bed in the room they shared on Sunday. A fifth worker survived.

All the five were from Kerala, the Gulf Daily News reported. The bodies were discovered on Monday morning by their colleagues who went to check on them after they failed to show up for work.

The survivor was identified as Sunil Sashidharan, 53, who was rushed to hospital and is stated to be in a critical condition, police said.

The head of Labour Ministry inspections and labour unions, Ahmed Al Haiki, called for awareness campaigns to educate low-paid workers about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

"It is very sad these men have died due to something that could easily have been prevented. They would never have done what they did if only they had been more aware," he said.

<