Four NATO soldiers killed in Afghan blast: force
Four international soldiers in a NATO-led coalition fighting insurgents in Afghanistan were killed in a bomb strike, the International Security Assistance Force said.world Updated: Mar 15, 2009 18:54 IST
Four international soldiers in a NATO-led coalition fighting insurgents in Afghanistan were killed in a bomb strike on Sunday, the International Security Assistance Force said.
The insurgent Taliban movement claimed responsibility for the attack in the eastern province of Nangarhar.
"It was an IED (improvised explosive device). Four soldiers were killed," an ISAF spokesman at the force's Kabul headquarters told AFP.
The alliance force does not release the nationalities of its casualties but most troops in eastern Afghanistan are from the US military, which has about 38,000 soldiers in the war-stricken country.
An Afghan media officer in the province said the bomb had been remotely detonated to hit an army convoy in Bati Kot district.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said men from his militia had carried out the attack.
It comes after three other ISAF soldiers died in Afghanistan on Saturday.
A British and a French trooper were killed in insurgent attacks and another soldier, whose nationality was not released, died in a traffic accident in the north of the country, officials said.
With Sunday's deaths, 61 international soldiers have lost their lives in Afghanistan this year, most of them in insurgent attacks, according to a toll by the icasualties.org website that tracks the wars here and in Iraq.