Girl among 2 killed in strike on Gaza City camp: Hamas | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Girl among 2 killed in strike on Gaza City camp: Hamas

world Updated: Nov 18, 2012 16:08 IST
Highlight Story

Two people were killed, one of them a child, when an Israeli missile hit a beachfront refugee camp in Gaza City on Sunday, the Hamas-run health ministry and witnesses said.

"The death toll has risen to 52 after two people were killed in an attack on Shati camp -- a man and a girl," health ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said.

Hospital officials named the victims as 13-year-old Tasneem al-Nahal and Ahmad al-Nahal, 25. Both were from the same family but the relationship between them was not immediately clear.

The girl's body was lain in a mortuary in a pink and blue tracksuit, an AFP correspondent reported.

Doctors said she had been killed by massive shrapnel wounds to the head.

Witnesses at the camp confirmed seeing a man and a girl killed in the strike which hit a small house in the camp, and gutted several nearby cars, the correspondent reported.

Shattered glass littered the floor by a large pool of blood, as several women screamed and wept hysterically. A nearby minibus was peppered with holes, all of its windows blown out by the force of the blast.

In all, Israeli strikes killed six people in Gaza on Sunday, four of them children.

Early on Sunday, two toddlers were killed in strikes on the northern Gaza towns of Beit Hanun and Beit Lahiya, with medics naming them as Tamer Abu Saeyfan, three, and his sister Jumana Abu Saeyfan, one.

And later in the morning, 18-month-old Iyyad Abu Khusa was killed in a strike east of Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza. His two brothers, age four and five, were critically wounded in the raid, Qudra said.

Medics also reported finding the body of woman under the rubble of a house in eastern Gaza City who had been killed in a strike earlier in the morning. They named her as Nawal Abdelaal, 52.

The attacks came after a quiet night on the Israeli side of the border, with the military confirming that no rockets had hit between 9:00pm (1900 GMT) on Saturday) and 7:00am (0500 GMT) on Sunday, after which two struck the south.

They raised the death toll in Gaza to 52 since Wednesday, with more than 460 injured, the health ministry said.