Govt receives 5 visa applications for Pak’s Pathankot probe team

  • IANS, New Delhi
  • Updated: Mar 22, 2016 22:29 IST
A soldier stands guard outside the Pathankot Air Force base. (HT File Photo)

The external affairs ministry on Tuesday received visa applications for five members of the Pakistan’s joint investigation team (JIT) probing the Pathankot air base attack in January this year.

Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup said that the modalities of visit will be discussed now that we have the composition of the team,” Swarup said.

Swarup, however, added that he did not yet have the details of the JIT members.

Following a meeting with Sartaj Aziz, advisor to the Pakistan Prime Minister on foreign affairs, on the sidelines of the Saarc ministerial meeting at Pokhara in Nepal last week, foreign minister Sushma Swaraj announced that the Pakistani JIT would arrive in India on March 27 and start its work from the following day.

Seven security personnel died when terrorists from across the border attacked the air force base in Pathankot on January 2.

The Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) claimed responsibility for the attack in which all the six terrorists also were reportedly killed.

The attack derailed the proposed foreign secretary-level talks that were scheduled for the middle of January after the two countries agreed in December last year to start a comprehensive bilateral dialogue.

India has since sent “actionable evidence” to the Pakistani authorities to bring the perpetrators of the attack to book.

Pakistan filed an FIR in Gujranwala last month against “unknown” terrorists in connection with the attack.

It also said that it would send a JIT to India to probe the attack.

also read

‘JeM, JuD to join Imran Khan’s protest rally against Nawaz Sharif on Nov 2’
Show comments