Group linked to Al-Qaeda claims Lebanon rocket salvo
A group linked to Al-Qaeda has claimed last week's rocket salvo from Lebanon into Israel, a US-based group that monitors jihadist websites said.world Updated: Sep 14, 2009 12:59 IST
A group linked to Al-Qaeda has claimed last week's rocket salvo from Lebanon into Israel, a US-based group that monitors jihadist websites said on Monday.
The attack from south Lebanon into northern Israel was claimed by the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, Battalions of Ziad Jarrah, in a statement released on Sunday by al-Fajr Media Centre on jihadist forums, SITE Intelligence Group reported.
The rocket fire came in response to "flagrant hostility" displayed by Israel towards Palestinians and Muslims, SITE quoted the communique as saying.
At least two rockets fired from the village of Al-Qlaileh in southern Lebanon slammed into Israel on Friday, triggering retaliatory artillery fire.
No casualties were reported on either side in Friday's attack, the third this year.
Israel has lodged a complaint with the United Nations over the attack and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday said Israel held the Lebanese government responsible for rocket fire from its territory.
Abdullah Azzam was Al-Qaeda chief Osama Bin Laden's mentor. He was killed in a 1989 bomb blast.
Ziad Jarrah, a Lebanese pilot, was one of the plotters of the September 11 2001 attacks on the United States which killed nearly 3,000 people. Jarrah died in the attack.