The gunman who killed a rabbi and three children at a Jewish school in Toulouse on Monday was wearing a small video camera around his neck and may have filmed the attack, according to the French interior minister.
Claude Gueant said the attacker was wearing “a kind of filming apparatus” on his chest when he struck just before 8am and opened fire on children and adults outside the school. Asked whether the gunman recorded the scene, he said: “We can imagine that.”
Gueant said on Tuesday that authorities were combing the internet to see if the killer posted a video online, but have not yet found any traces.
The biggest manhunt in modern French history is under way to find the motorcycle gunman who is still at large. Investigators say he is the same person who shot three French soldiers of north African and Caribbean origin in two other attacks in Toulouse and nearby Montauban last week. Two soldiers died and one was injured.
The same heavy, high-calibre weapon was used in all the attacks as well as a powerful Yamaha motorbike used for the getaways which was believed to have been stolen in Toulouse, but which could have been repainted white before the school attack.
The man was wearing a motorcycle helmet during the shootings. He was filmed by CCTV cameras at the school as well as security cameras outside the cashpoint in Montauban last week.
Gueant told French radio: “We’re worried about the eventuality that he wants to carry out another attack.” He said investigators did not know who the man was, and the inquiry was continuing but had not significantly advanced.
He confirmed that police had been sifting through details of former soldiers who might have been expelled from the army for expressing “neo-Nazi opinions”.
Criminologists speculated that the killer could be someone with good knowledge of firearms who appeared to have acted in cold blood.