Several attackers may have survived the three-day siege of Mumbai that killed 171 people last week, analysts said on Thursday.
“I think there are more. My sources say (there were) at least 23 of the gunmen,” said Farhana Ali, a former CIA and Rand Corp counterterrorism analyst and expert on militant networks. Ali, who most recently visited India and Pakistan last month before the attacks, said her information came from Pakistan, but declined to further identify the source.
“If that’s true, that makes one wonder why we haven’t seen more attacks. Are they lying low?” she said “I think they (Indian authorities) are bracing themselves for more,” she said.
Ali spoke at a briefing for US government counterterrorism and military officials, and others. It was sponsored by the Counterterrorism Foundation, which supports research and publication on terrorism issues.
A US counterterrorism official told Reuters, “Is there a possibility that some LeT terrorists are still out there? Yes, but we have to wait and see because all of the information is not in yet.”
David Kilcullen, who has served as a senior counterterrorism adviser to US General David Petraeus, said he agreed there were probably more attackers.