Gurudwara terror suspect has criminal record: German police

  • PTI, Berlin
  • Updated: Apr 27, 2016 15:15 IST
The gurdwara attack had injured three people, including a Sikh priest. (Photo Courtesy: German Media)

A teenager arrested for his alleged involvement in a terror strike at a gurudwara in the German city of Essen ten days ago was a “repeat offender”, according to police.

The 16-year-old youth was also arrested for an attempted burglary at a shop in the city a day before the attack, a police spokesman told PTI.

“As usual in the case of teenagers getting involved in petty crimes, police set him free after interrogation, registering his personal details and initiating a criminal case against him,” the spokesman said.

Police are now investigating whether the terror suspect, identified as Mohammed B and his 16-year-old accomplice Yusuf T had any links to the Salafists or other radical Islamist groups.

The duo are suspected of planting a bomb hidden in a backpack, in the entrance hall of the Nanaksar Satsangh Sabha gurudwara.

The attacks had left three injured. (Photo Courtesy: German Media)

The bomb exploded at the end of a wedding ceremony on April 16, injuring three persons, one of them seriously.

Investigations are also focusing on how they got the instructions and the material to make a bomb, the spokesman said.

Police traced the two men after CCTV footage showed one them carrying a backpack with the logo “Russel Athletic”.

Investigators found the remains of a similar backpack in the debris of the explosion.

They were apprehended in Essen and in the neighbouring town of Gelsenkirchen early last week.

The two suspects are currently in a preventive custody.

Local media reports said Mohammed B is known to police as a “repeated offender”.

also read

Pak cinema owners may lift ban on Indian films after ‘Ae Dil...’ release
Show comments