Nearly a month after being buried by Haiti’s killer quake, a 28-year-old man has been pulled alive from the wreckage of a building in Port-au-Prince.
Evan Muncie’s rescue comes more than two weeks after the government called off search-and-rescue efforts.
Muncie, was found buried in the rubble of a marketplace and may have been trapped since the January 12 quake, according the New Zealand Herald.
Doctors said he was suffering from extreme dehydration and malnutrition but did not have any major injuries after being crushed.
Dr Mike Connelly at the University of Miami field hospital said Muncie had been left "emaciated" by his ordeal.
“He hadn't had anything in quite some time. He had open wounds that were festering on both of his feet,” he said.
Muncie told doctors that someone had brought him water while he was trapped.
But his doctors said he sounded confused and sometimes seemed to believe he was still under the rubble.
Dr Connelly said Muncie would not have survived for so long without water, but was not sure how he would have had access to it.
The Haitian government called off search-and-rescue efforts on January 23, but survivors were still being discovered up until January 27.