An Australian teenager who spent ten agonising hours believing a bomb had been chained around her neck said on Wednesday that she was "very relieved" that the culprit had been arrested for the bizarre incident.
The 18-year-old schoolgirl Madeleine Pulver who stormed into global news two weeks ago when a masked man entered her luxury Sydney harbour home and strapped a collar bomb around her and left, said she was glad that the ordeal was all over.
"It's all very surreal," Pulver said after Australian police and US FBI arrested a businessman in Kentucky in connection with the case.
Australian national Paul Peters, 50, was picked by a FBI Swat team on Monday and produced before a court on Tuesday for extradition to Australia to face criminal charges.
Explosive experts toiled for about ten hours to remove what they thought was a timer bomb which was later found to be an elaborate hoax.
Police here quoted by ABC said it could take more than two months to have the businessman accused of being behind the Sydney collar bomb hoax to be bought back here to face charges.
Peters faced a US court overnight for the first time after his arrest. He was remanded in custody until October 14.
New South Wales police said Peters shackled the fake bomb to Pulver in a bid to extort money from her family.
But his lawyer, Scott Cox, said that Peters would plead not guilty.
And police said the extradition process could be delayed if Peters opts to fight against returning to Australia.