India-assisted projects in Bhutan reviewed | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

India-assisted projects in Bhutan reviewed

world Updated: Mar 08, 2008 12:45 IST
PTI
Highlight Story

Indian and Bhutanese officials have reviewed the progress of New Delhi-assisted projects undertaken during the Himalayan country's 9th Five Year Plan.

The officials expressed satisfaction over the projects which are expected to finish within the time frame, a statement from Bhutan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.

The Indian government has released Nu 70,352 million for projects in the 9th plan.

"This comes to be around 81 per cent of the total funds. The remaining 19 per cent, Nu 1,700 million will be released for the remaining four months of the Plan," the statement said.

A three-member Indian delegation headed by Finance Director Arun Kumar Chatterjee was in Bhutan for the two-day 6th project monitoring committee meeting.

The minutes of the meeting were signed by Chatterjee and Bhutan's director of the Department of Bilateral Affairs, Kezang Wangdi.

The delegation called on top Bhutanese officials including Foreign Secretary Yeshey Dorji and Secretary of GNH Commission Karma Tshiteem.

Views were also exchanged during the meeting on how the mechanism could be made more contemporary in view of growing cooperation between the two neighbouring countries, Chatterjee said.

The projects funded by India include the Punatsangchu Hydroelectric Project, JDWNR Hospital and Semtokha Dzong..

The next monitoring committee meeting will be held in September.