India needs to take up Mumbai intel lapse with Obama: D Raja | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 27, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

India needs to take up Mumbai intel lapse with Obama: D Raja

India should take up with US President Barack Obama the non-communication of intelligence information on the Mumbai attacks, CPI leader D Raja said today, charging Washington of following "double standards" in fighting terrorism.

world Updated: Oct 22, 2010 12:20 IST

India should take up with US President Barack Obama the non-communication of intelligence information on the Mumbai attacks, CPI leader D Raja said on Wednesday, charging Washington of following "double standards" in fighting terrorism.

"India cannot keep quiet on these issues," Raja said in the wake of reports that US agencies, which were tipped off by LeT operative David Headley's wives about his radical connections, failed to communicate the information to India.

"India should take it up with the US at appropriate levels because India cannot keep quiet on these issues," parliamentarian Raja said.

"India has every reason to take up the issue if CIA had prior intelligence input then why they didn't share it with India if they are genuine in their fight against terrorism," he said.

This week reports emerged that two wives of 26/11 plotter Headley had warned the US agencies that their husband had radical connections and was devising a plan that eventually lead to the killing of 166 people.

He said New Delhi needs to take up the issue with US President Barack Obama when he visits India next month.

"When Mr Barack Obama comes to India I don't know if the government of India will take it up but it is logical that it should," he said.

James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence Admiral, has initiated a review of the handling by US agencies of the inputs provided by the wives of Headley that their "passionately anti-India husband" had was involved in the plotting of a terrorist attack in India.

Raja, however, asserted that the failure to process and communicate this information indicated a "double standard" by the US in combating terrorism.

"The US cannot follow double standards or triple standards in the fight against terrorism... The US claims it is the champion but what the US is doing when it comes to other countries," he said.

So far, the US has maintained that there was no lapse in the investigation based on the information provided by Headley's wives – one in 2005 and other in 2007.

The Obama Administration has insisted that the tip off was taken seriously, but it was general information and not specifically related to Mumbai.