'India’s proof against Saeed not enough'
Pakistan on Thursday claimed that the information provided by India on the Mumbai attacks was not enough for it to take legal action against outlawed Jamat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, reports Kamal Siddiqi.world Updated: Aug 07, 2009 00:53 IST
Pakistan on Thursday claimed that the information provided by India on the Mumbai attacks was not enough for it to take legal action against outlawed Jamat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed.
But it has clarified that the case against the perpertrators of the Mumbai attacks would continue.
“It needs to be underlined that the dossiers and information received from India apropos Saeed are not really enough ... To proceed legally as is being expected,” Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit told a weekly news briefing in Islamabad.
He was responding to a question about statements made in the Indian Parliament about the lack of action by Pakistani authorities against Saeed.
Basit said Pakistan was proceeding in the case of Saeed “according to our own laws.”
Pakistan was also moving forward with the trial of five Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) operatives arrested in connection with the Mumbai attacks, he said, adding he could not comment in details as the mater is subjudiced.
Saeed, who was put under house arrest in December last year in the wake of the Mumbai attacks, was freed on June 2 on the orders of the Lahore High Court.
The Federal and Punjab provincial governments last month filed petitions before the Supreme Court against the release of Saeed.
The apex court on August 3 indefinitely adjourned the hearing of the petitions challenging Saeed’s release after the Advocate General representing Punjab government in the case resigned.
Home Minister P Chidambaram had last week said that India had provided “enough evidence” against the JuD chief in three dossiers it gave to Islamabad.
A fresh dossier of evidence on the Mumbai attacks was recently handed over by India to Pakistan, asking it to expedite the prosecution of Saeed.