An Indian origin man, who pleaded guilty to being a drug dealer, has been jailed at the Manchester Crown Court for two years as part of the city’s biggest crackdown on street-level drug dealing, the police said.
Prem Gabroo, 20, was one of 75 people arrested by the Greater Manchester police on December 6 as part of Operation Audacious which is said to be the city's biggest crackdown on drug dealing.
The total number of people sentenced so far as part of this operation is now 18, who together have received more than 43 years in prison between them.
Speaking after Gabroo's sentencing, Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson, who is leading Operation Audacious, said: "Another drug dealer has been taken off our streets and is now behind bars, where they belong. This operation has shown that regardless of your age, if you choose to get involved in the sale and supply of illegal drugs, then you will pay the consequences."
He added: "We are sending a strong message to criminals in Manchester that any form of drug-related activity is simply not acceptable in any of our communities."
On December 6, police carried out 100 warrants at the homes of those suspected of drug dealing across Manchester divisions, as well as at addresses in Salford, Stockport and Bolton.
The operation had been planned over a period of months.
For the first time, the actions of the police under the operation were watched by more than 130 members of the community, who were invited along so they could witness first-hand how police are putting a stop to drugs activity in their neighbourhood.