Indonesia says four foreigners killed in hotel blasts | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 21, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Indonesia says four foreigners killed in hotel blasts

Indonesia's health ministry said on Saturday that at least four foreigners were killed in blasts at two luxury hotels, including two Australians, a New Zealander and a Singaporean

world Updated: Jul 18, 2009 12:01 IST

JAKARTA, July 18, 2009 (AFP) - Indonesia's health ministry said on Saturday that at least four foreigners were killed in blasts at two luxury hotels, including two Australians, a New Zealander and a Singaporean.

The twin suicide bombings at the JW Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton hotels on Friday left nine dead and up to 50 injured.

The health ministry's crisis centre said in an SMS alert that the victims had been identified as Timothy David McKay from New Zealand, and Australians Nathan Verity and Garth McEvoy.

The centre said that a Singaporean man was killed, but did not give a complete name and the Singapore embassy in Jakarta told AFP it had not verified the death.

An Indonesian man identified by the single name Darmanko was also among those killed, the ministry said.

Police have said that at least 18 foreigners were among those injured, including citizens of Australia, South Korea, the Netherlands and Japan.

Australia had already all but conceded that three of its citizens missing after the devastating hotel blasts -- including diplomat Craig Senger who was there at a business meeting -- were likely dead.

The suicide bombings were the bloodiest extremist violence targeting Westerners in Indonesia since 2005.