Iran's opposition leader pledged on Saturday to continue the struggle against the government, even though the mass protest on the anniversary of last June's disputed presidential election has been called off.
Mir Hossein Mousavi said the opposition will "continue our peaceful methods" to resist a government it decries as fraudulent. But the leader’s subdued tone also reflected the movement's indecisiveness and powerlessness in the face of a violent government crackdown.
Mousavi and another top opposition figure, Mahdi Karroubi, on Thursday called off the plan to take to the streets on the anniversary of the June 12 balloting, citing fears of violence and concerns for the lives of the protesters.
The opposition says at least 80 protesters have died so far in street clashes between security forces and protesters in the post-election turmoil.