Iran says talk of US attack 'craziness'
Iran today dismissed speculation that it risked being attacked by the US over its contested nuclear drive, saying that a military strike would be "craziness."world Updated: Jul 12, 2008 19:06 IST
Iran on Saturday dismissed speculation that it risked being attacked by the United States over its contested nuclear drive, saying that a military strike would be "craziness."
"Any aggression or military action against Iran is an idiocy whose repercussions would hurt all," Iranian government spokesman Gholam Hossein Elham told reporters.
"I don't think that such craziness and nonsense will prevail or is doable militarily," he added.
Tensions over the nuclear standoff have surged again in the past days after Iran test-fired a broadside of missiles -- including one it says brings Israel within range -- in war games that provoked international concern.
Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki warned that if the United States or its regional ally Israel attacked Iran "then our response to them will be harsh and devastating."
"Of course, the Zionist regime and the United States do not have the capability to involve themselves in another crisis," he said in a speech yesterday reported by the official IRNA news agency on Saturday.
On Wednesday, Tehran said it test-fired its Shahab-3 missile -- the longest-range weapon in its arsenal -- and eight other missiles, adding it fired more missiles on Thursday in land maneuvers at night and naval war games by day.
Mottaki described the missile firing as a show of "Iran's capabilities and ability in the military field."
World powers last month presented Iran with a package aimed at ending the nuclear crisis by offering Tehran technological incentives in exchange for suspending its sensitive uranium enrichment programme.