ISI agent was using Kunduz MSF hospital as base: US intelligence
American special operations analysts were gathering intelligence on an Afghan Medecins Sans Frontieres hospital days before it was destroyed by a US military attack because they believed it was being used by an ISI operative to coordinate Taliban activity.world Updated: Oct 16, 2015 08:56 IST
American special operations analysts were gathering intelligence on an Afghan Medecins Sans Frontieres hospital days before it was destroyed by a US military attack because they believed it was being used by an ISI operative to coordinate Taliban activity, The Associated Press has learned.
It’s unclear whether commanders who unleashed the AC-130 gunship on the hospital - killing at least 22 patients and hospital staff - were aware that the site was a hospital or knew about the allegations of possible enemy activity.
The Pentagon initially said the attack was to protect US troops engaged in a firefight and has since said it was a mistake.
The special operations analysts had assembled a dossier that included maps with the hospital circled, along with indications that intelligence agencies were tracking the location of the Pakistani operative and activity reports based on overhead surveillance, according to a former intelligence official familiar with the material. The intelligence suggested the hospital was being used as a Taliban command and control centre and may have housed heavy weapons.
After the attack - which came amidst a battle to retake the northern Afghan city of Kunduz from the Taliban - some US analysts assessed that the strike had been justified, the former officer says. They concluded that the Pakistani, believed to have been working for his country’s Inter-Service Intelligence directorate, had been killed.
No evidence has surfaced publicly to support those conclusions about the Pakistani’s connections or his demise. The former intelligence official was not authorised to comment publicly and spoke only on condition of anonymity.
The top US officer in Afghanistan, Gen. John Campbell, has said the strike was a mistake, but he has not explained exactly how it happened or who granted final approval. He also told Congress he was ordering all personnel in Afghanistan to be retrained on the rules governing the circumstances under which strikes are acceptable.
The new details about the military’s suspicions that the hospital was being misused complicate an already murky picture and add to the unanswered questions about one of the worst civilian casualty incidents of the Afghan war. They also raise the possibility of a breakdown in intelligence sharing and communication across the military chain of command.
White House spokesman Josh Earnest said questions about what the Defence Department knew about the clinic and whether it was communicated to personnel operating the gunship would be part of the Pentagon’s investigation. He said President Barack Obama was expecting a “full accounting.”
Pentagon officials declined to comment.
The international humanitarian agency that ran the facility, Medecins Sans Frontieres, has condemned the bombing as a war crime. The organisation says the strike killed 12 hospital staff and 10 patients.
It insists that no gunmen, weapons or ammunition were in the building. The US and Afghan governments have launched three separate investigations. President Barack Obama has apologised, but MSF is calling for an international probe.
Medecins Sans Frontieres officials say the US airplane made five separate strafing runs over an hour, directing heavy fire on the main hospital building, which contained the emergency room and intensive care unit. Surrounding buildings were not struck, they say.
Typically, pilots flying air support missions would have maps showing protected sites such as hospitals and mosques. If commanders concluded that enemies were operating from a protected site, they would follow procedures designed to minimise civilian casualties. That would generally mean surrounding a building with troops, not blowing it to bits from the air.
What the new details suggest “is that the hospital was intentionally targeted, killing at least 22 patients and MSF staff,” said Meinie Nicolai, president of the operational directorate of MSF. “This would amount to a premeditated massacre.”