Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, chief of the banned JuD and blamed by India for masterminding the Mumbai terror attacks, filed a petition in a Pakistani court on Thursday seeking the discharge of two "fake" cases registered against him under the Anti-Terrorism Act.
The writ petition, filed in the Lahore High Court by Saeed's lawyer A K Dogar, said that the two First Information Reports registered against the JuD chief in Faisalabad last week were "without lawful authority and of no legal effect".
The petition also claimed that the Indian government has been "pressing" Pakistan to take action against Saeed even though there is "no charge" against him. It said two "fake" cases had been registered against Saeed on baseless allegations and police cannot book him constitutionally or legally under such charges.
Following the registration of the two FIRs, police placed Saeed under house arrest on Sunday. However, police officials and a JuD spokesman have said no formal written order has been issued for Saeed's detention.
Police in Faisalabad have accused Saeed of making speeches in which he incited people to wage jehad against infidels and sought funds for the outlawed JuD.
Saeed's petition dismissed these allegations. "To exhort the Muslims of Pakistan to act on the injunctions of the Holy Quran can never be said to be a criminal act," the petition said.
The petition said the FIRs were filed 19 days after Saeed allegedly made the speeches and this pointed to "machinations and preparation of a scheme for involving (Saeed) in any case whatsoever so as to appease India". This amounted to "nothing but a manifestation of malicious motives", it added.
Saeed was put under house arrest in December last year after the UN Security Council declared the JuD a terrorist organisation. He was freed on the orders of the Lahore High Court in June.