Kabul: 1 dead, 22 injured in Taliban attack on military convoy

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Jun 30, 2015 18:59 IST

Suicide bombers targeted Nato troops in Kabul and a police headquarters in restive southern Afghanistan on Tuesday, killing three people and wounding more than 70 as the Taliban's bloody spring offensive showed no signs of letting up.

A powerful blast echoed through the Afghan capital as a suicide car bomber hit a Nato convoy on the road to the airport, about 500 metres from the US embassy, killing one civilian and injuring 24.

“It was a suicide car bomber targeting a convoy of foreign forces in Kabul," said interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi.

NATO spokeswoman Capt Susan Harrington said two American soldiers sustained “minor injuries” in the attack.

The attack occurred in front of Qazi Plaza, a shopping centre located along the road to the Hamid Karzai International Airport. The road was closed off and witnesses saw damaged Nato military vehicles.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack on their Twitter account.


Armoured vehicles at the site of a blast targeting the Nato convoy in Kabul. (AP Photo)

Earlier in the day, two civilians were killed and more than 50 injured when suicide attackers detonated an explosives-laden truck at the gate of the police headquarters in Lashkargah, the capital of volatile Helmand province.

Two of the attackers were killed by the blast and another was gunned down by police.

The force of the blast in Kabul rattled windows in the heavily guarded diplomatic enclave. The explosion sent a plume of black smoke over the city's western suburbs.

The explosion occurred as government employees were leaving their offices at the end of the working day, which is shorter during the Ramzan month of fasting.


Suicide bomber targets NATO convoy in Kabul, 4 dead

Shortly after the attack in Helmand, a government vehicle was also targeted with a magnetic bomb in Kabul. Two children were injured by the blast.

Tuesday’s violence came less than two days after 11 soldiers were killed in a Taliban ambush in the relatively peaceful western province of Herat.

On June 22, five people were killed when militants carried out a brazen assault on the Afghan parliament, highlighting their ability to enter the highly fortified capital to stage deadly attacks.

Afghan troops and police are battling the Taliban alone in the first "fighting season" since Nato ended its combat mission and left local forces to take charge of security.

also read

Quetta attack: Pak rights panel asks PM Sharif to reassess anti-terror strategy
Show comments