Kabul police chief resigns after spate of attacks

  • Agencies, Kabul
  • Updated: Dec 01, 2014 04:14 IST

The Kabul police chief resigned on Sunday after three Taliban attacks in 10 days on foreign guest houses in the capital, while officials said Afghan forces had ousted insurgents who tried to seize former US and British base Camp Bastion in the south.

General Zahir Zahir resigned shortly after he confirmed that three South Africans and an Afghan citizen were killed in a Taliban attack on Saturday.

Zahir said the head of a foreign organisation, his son and his daughter were all killed.

"The attackers first shot dead the director as they entered the building," Zahir said at a press conference, giving no further details. After the event, Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanakzai said that Zahir had resigned.

Meanwhile, Afghan soldiers finally ousted a group of Taliban from the former Camp Bastion.

By Sunday, fighting at the base had ended and troops were clearing the area that had been seized by a few dozen insurgents, said a spokesman for the Helmand governor. Taliban fighters breached the perimeter of Camp Bastion in southern Afghan three days ago, just one month after the base was handed over to the Afghan army.

The attacks of recent days have renewed fears that Afghanistan's army and police are unable to secure the country.

The US-led NATO combat mission in Afghanistan will end on December 31 and be replaced by a follow-on mission supporting the Afghan army and police.

also read

Quetta police academy attack: 33 feared dead, more than 100 wounded
Show comments