Wearing a bulletproof vest and a leash held by a police guard, Anders Behring Breivik returned this weekend to the pristine Norwegian island where, he has admitted, he slaughtered 69 people last month, leading the police through a simulation of his actions, Oslo police officials said.
For eight hours on Saturday, Breivik showed the police how he had stalked his victims, at times holding up his arms as if pretending to take aim at fleeing members of a political youth camp who were his targets on the island of Utoya. The simulation, parts of which were recorded and broadcast by the Norwegian news media, offered a chilling glimpse of Breivik in action, recalling a measure of the terror from that rainy afternoon on July 22.
Breivik, 32, a self-described Christian crusader, was calm, cooperative and in control of his emotions, whatever they might have been, Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby, a police prosecutor, said on Sunday in Oslo.
“The suspect showed he was not unmoved by being back on Utoya,” Kraby said. “But he did not show any remorse for his actions.”
Kraby said the simulation was needed to clarify details of the attack that would be presented at Breivik’s trial, which is expected to begin next year. But he offered little new information to a nation struggling to come to terms with the deadliest act of violence on Norwegian soil since World War II.
Breivik admitted to plotting and carrying out the attack on Utoya, as well as detonating a bomb a few hours earlier that killed eight people in Oslo.
Police have begun to wrap up their investigation, which has been closed to the public since the attacks, Kraby said. He said officials planned to turn control of the island back over to the Labor Party youth at the end of the week.