Kuwait: IS claims suicide attack on Shia mosque that kills 25

  • Agencies, Kuwait City
  • Updated: Jun 26, 2015 20:52 IST

A deadly blast ripped through a Shia mosque in a busy neighbourhood of Kuwait's capital after Friday prayers killing 25 people, in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group.

Medics said the explosion left 202 others injured. The IS-affiliated group in Saudi Arabia, calling itself Najd Province, said militant Abu Suleiman al-Muwahhid carried out the attack on the mosque, which it claimed was spreading Shiite teachings among Sunni Muslims.

Mohammed al-Faili, 32, said his 70 year-old father was killed in what appeared to be a bombing attack. Two of his brothers were also wounded by the explosion. He said he was not at the mosque at the time of the explosion but was heading to the morgue to identify his father's body.

The official Kuwait News Agency reported that an explosion struck the Imam Sadiq Mosque, which is located in the neighbourhood of al-Sawabir, a residential and shopping district of Kuwait City. The agency confirmed that there were multiple casualties and injuries, but did provide any figures.

Paramedics at the mosque say at least two people were killed. Police formed a cordon around the mosque's complex immediately after the explosion, banning people from entering or gathering near the area. Ambulances could be seen ferrying the wounded from the site.

Abdullah al-Saffar, who was at the mosque, said the explosion took place just after midday Friday prayers.

The extremist Islamic State group, which regards Shia Muslims as heretics, has claimed responsibility for bombings at two different Shiite mosques in neighbouring Saudi Arabia in recent weeks.

Friday midday prayers are typically the most crowded of the week, and attendance increases during the holy Muslim month of Ramadan, which started last week.

also read

Among those insulted by Trump, Indian-American governors Bobby Jindal, Nikki Ha...
Show comments