Leaked report says five 26/11 gunmen were Pakistanis | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 21, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Leaked report says five 26/11 gunmen were Pakistanis

At least five of the 10 gunmen who attacked Mumbai on November 26 were of Pakistani origin, according to a Pakistan government report that has been leaked to local television networks. Mumbai-style attacks in Kabul

world Updated: Feb 12, 2009 01:05 IST

At least five of the 10 gunmen who attacked targets in Mumbai nearly three months ago were of Pakistani origin, according to a government report that has been leaked to local television networks.

It would be the first acknowledgment by Pakistan that more than one of its own citizens had participated in the assault. The country has confirmed that the lone surviving gunman, in Indian custody, is a Pakistani. Mumbai-style attacks in Kabul

But officials here have rejected India’s assertions that the assault was conceived and planned inside Pakistan. According to the TV networks, the government report says that investigators have concluded that the attacks were planned in a European country and Dubai over the internet, and that the planners used Bangladesh for logistical support.

It was unclear from the leaks how the investigators had come to their conclusions.

The preliminary findings of the investigation had been expected to be made public this week. But on Monday the government issued a statement saying investigators needed more evidence from India to proceed with the investigation. The request for more information provoked an angry reaction on Tuesday from India, which said it had already shared exhaustive evidence of Pakistani complicity.

The Pakistani government did not specify what additional information investigators wanted from India. But Dawn newspaper reported on Tuesday that Pakistani officials would seek a DNA report on Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman involved in the attacks, and the other nine, who were killed by the Indian security forces.

Pakistan is also seeking information about the weapons used by the gunmen as well as details of the cellphone calls made by them, Dawn said. In addition, Pakistan will push for access to the Indians who have been arrested in connection with the attacks, the newspaper said.

The November attacks in Mumbai killed more than 160 people. Indian and US officials have accused the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba, an outlawed militant group, of being responsible for the attacks. Pakistan has promised to cooperate fully in the investigation of the attacks.