The man who launched a knife attack in the Leytonstone Underground station on Saturday appeared in court on Monday after he was charged with the attempted murder of a 56-year-old passenger.
Security has been strengthened at Underground stations after the attack that was termed a “terrorist” act by Scotland Yard. The assailant has been identified as Muhaydin Mire, aged 29, from east London.
The victim reportedly underwent a five-hour surgery on the neck. The Westminster magistrates court was told that the victim had requested anonymity. Besides the victim, two others suffered minor injuries.
Assistant Chief Constable Mark Newton, of the British Transport Police, said: “The safety of the travelling public remains our top priority. In addition to our usual specialist response teams, last week we launched Project Servator, deploying even more highly-visible police patrols designed to identify and deter terrorism”.
He added: “Following Saturday’s incident, we are now deploying still more officers in this role. They involve both uniformed and plain-clothed officers, supported by other resources, such as armed officers, police dogs, a network of CCTV cameras, and the thousands of rail staff we work alongside”.
The London Underground reported a “good service” on all lines on Monday.