Rescuers recovered the bodies of 11 more climbers from Malaysia's highest peak on Saturday, a day after it was struck by a strong earthquake, bringing the total number of dead to 13.
Six people remained missing on 4,095-metre-high Mount Kinabalu in eastern Sabah state on Borneo, where a magnitude-5.9 earthquake yesterday sent rocks and boulders raining down the trekking routes, trapping dozens of climbers.
"This is a very sad day for Kinabalu," said Sabah's tourism minister, Masidi Manjun.
Nine of the bodies found today were flown out by helicopter, while the other two were brought down by foot, said district police official Farhan Lee Abdullah. Most of the other climbers made it down the mountain in the darkness early today, some with broken limbs and one in coma. The two dead retrieved on Friday evening were a 30-year-old local guide and a 12-year-old Singaporean student, Farhan said.
Police said earlier that they were looking for 17 other people, including eight Singaporeans and one each from China, the Philippines and Japan. The rest are Malaysians. The nationalities of the 11 dead recovered on Saturday were not immediately clear.
About 60 rescuers and four helicopters were combing the mountain, where loose rocks and boulders that fell during the quake blocked part of the main route.
The quake also damaged roads and buildings, including schools and a hospital on Sabah's west coast. It also broke one of the twin rock formations on the mountain known as the 'Donkey's Ears'.
Monday has been declared 'day of mourning' in Sabah in memory of those who perished #Kinabalu. State & Federal flag would be flown half mast— Masidi Manjun (@MasidiM) June 6, 2015
The mountain will be closed for three weeks for maintenance work, and flags will be flown at half-staff in Sabah on Monday to mourn the victims, Masidi said.
Sabah Deputy Chief Minister Joseph Pairin Kitingan blamed the tragedy on a group of 10 foreigners who "showed disrespect to the sacred mountain" by posing naked at the peak last week.
He said a special ritual would be conducted later to "appease the mountain spirit." The foreigners, who included two Canadians, two Dutch and
a German national, broke away from their entourage and stripped naked before taking photos at the mountain peak on May 30, officials have said.
Five of the tourists are believed to still be in Malaysia and will be barred from leaving on the offense of gross indecency, police have said.