A Pakistani court conducting the trial of seven suspects charged with involvement in the Mumbai terror attacks on Saturday adjourned the case till March 3 after prosecutors informed the judge that preparations had been completed for sending a judicial commission to India.
Anti-terrorism court Judge Shahid Rafique also heard an application from the defence lawyers seeking the inquiry report of the chief investigation officer in India.
"On our request, the court ordered the prosecution to present the required document in court at the next hearing," Khwaja Haris Ahmed, counsel for Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, told PTI.
With preparations for sending the judicial commission to India underway, it was likely that the panel would leave Pakistan on March 14, he said.
During the proceedings held behind closed doors, chief prosecutor Chaudhry Zulifqar Ali told the court that the report of the chief investigation officer in Mumbai was yet to be sought from India.
The judge then questioned how the judicial commission could go ahead with its visit to India without even studying the report, sources told PTI.
Interior minister Rehman Malik recently announced that the judicial commission would visit India during March 12-22.
The Indian government had earlier asked Pakistan to send the commission between February 1 and 10. However, the panel could not go ahead with the visit due to various reasons, including questions that were raised about its constitution.