Myanmar has asked Chinese citizens to leave a border area where fighting between government troops and rebel militias pushed tens of thousands of refugees into China last month, Chinese state media reported on Friday.
Myanmar has ordered at least 10,000 Chinese citizens who are in the Kokang enclave but have no legal credentials to leave by Monday, the Global Times said, citing local sources.
Rumours spread among Chinese in the border area that fighting could restart soon in areas hit by unrest, the report added.
In August, Myanmar's army overran Kokang, a territory run for years by an ethnic Chinese militia that paid little heed to the central government.
China's foreign ministry declined immediate comment on the latest reports, but on Thursday it had issued a statement warning its citizens about the dangers of Kokang.
"The Foreign Ministry and the Chinese embassy in Myanmar remind Chinese citizens and companies who are already in Northern Myanmar to pay attention to security risks," said the statement, posted on the ministry's website (www.mfa.gov.cn).
The statement also suggested Chinese citizens planning to go to Northern Myanmar should suspend their trips.