NATO soldier, six workers killed in Afghanistan
A NATO soldier was killed in a roadside bombing in eastern Afghanistan today, while suspected Taliban militants killed six construction workers after kidnapping them in southeastern region, officials said.world Updated: Jul 06, 2010 21:14 IST
A NATO soldier was killed in a roadside bombing in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday, while suspected Taliban militants killed six construction workers after kidnapping them in southeastern region, officials said.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed the death of the soldier, but did not reveal his nationality.
The casualty came a day after six ISAF soldiers were killed in separate attacks in the country. A total of 335 foreign troops have been killed in Afghan conflict so far this year, according to ICasualties.org.
Separately, police found six bodies of construction workers in southern province of Ghazni on Tuesday, Khial Baz Shirzai, the provincial police chief said.
He said Taliban militants kidnapped the men in Sharand district of south-eastern Paktika province earlier this week and then dumped their bodies in four locations in the neighbouring province of Ghazni.
Three Taliban militants were killed on Monday when the mine they were trying to plant on a road in Chardarah district of northern province of Kunduz exploded prematurely, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.
The militants torched two fuel tankers destined for NATO forces in the neighbouring province of Baghlan, Munshi Majeed, the provincial governor said.
Taliban-led violence is on the rise in Afghanistan as the US and NATO troops have stepped up their efforts against the militants by increasing troops and military operations.
By August there will be 150,000 foreign troops throughout Afghanistan, up from more than 130,000 forces currently stationed in the war-torn country.