Nepalese authorities on Wednesday withdrew its decision to extend the prohibited area around the government secretariat citing inconvenience to employees, after the Maoists warned to defy the prohibitory orders.
Kathmandu District Administration Office on Tuesday had declared as prohibited zone areas falling within 100 meters from Kalikasthan and Padmodaya School keeping in view of the scheduled protest programme of the Maoist to picket Singhadurbar Secretariat on Thursday and Friday.
Soon after the declaration, the Maoists warned to defy the prohibitory orders.
The government had already declared outer perimeter of the Singhadurbar, the principal government secretariat, a prohibited zone since last year.
Kathmandu's Chief Administrative Officer Bhola Prasad Siwakoti told reporters that the decision was taken as there were complaints from government employees that the orders would greatly affect their movement.
"However, the prohibited zones declared earlier will remain unchanged," he said.
Earlier, senior Maoist leader Baburam Bhattarai warned that the party would defy the extended prohibited zones and continue with their planned protest.
"We don't recognise the areas added by the district administration a day before our scheduled protest," Bhattari said.