Pakistan will take action against the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) if proof was found of its involvement in the Mumbai terrorist attacks, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said here on Thursday.
“We will take action against LeT if any proof is found,” Qureshi told reporters when asked what action Pakistan planned to take against the perpetrators of the November 26 Mumbai carnage.
“We are waiting for the confessional statement of Kasab though appropriate channels,” Qureshi said. He was referring to the confession Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Mumbai attacker in Indian custody, made in a Mumbai court on Monday.
Qureshi’s comments come days after India and Pakistan, on the sidelines of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit, agreed July 16 to delink action on terror from the composite dialogue process.
Kasab, the only surviving member of the 10-member terrorist squad from Pakistan, Monday confessed his role in the mayhem that left over 170 people killed. He also admitted his nationality as Pakistani.
Army, ISI want role in talks with India
Pakistan Army and Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency have launched concerted efforts to be involved in talks with India.
Diplomatic and other sources say the two organisations believe they can play a role because they are intrinsically linked to policy-making in Pakistan.
ISI chief Lt General Shuja Pasha, a trusted aide of powerful army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, has been involved in the move and reportedly brought up the matter during a meeting with the three defence advisers in the Indian High Commission earlier this month, the sources said. agencies