No Indian hand in Lahore attack: Rahman Malik
A day after the Police chief of Lahore claimed that India was involved in two militant attacks in the city last month, Pakistan Interior Minister Rahman Malik today reportedly denied Indian involvement in the terror strikes.world Updated: Apr 12, 2009 09:04 IST
A day after the Police chief of Lahore claimed that India was involved in two militant attacks in the city last month, Pakistan Interior Minister Rahman Malik reportedly denied Indian involvement in the terror strikes on Saturday.
Ruling out any Indian link to the Lahore attacks, he warned Taliban and said they must lay down arms.
Meanwhile, Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani distanced himself from the police officer’s claim that India was linked to terrorist attacks on the Sri Lankan cricket team and a police training centre, saying it would be premature to comment till authorities completed their probe.
Gilani said his government would comment on the issue only after it received a final report on the probe into the two attacks. He said the police officer’s claim was made on the basis of “preliminary findings”.
It would be “premature” to point fingers at anyone on the basis of a preliminary report. “Wait for the final report,” Gilani told reporters in his hometown of Multan.
Lahore police chief Pervaiz Rathore had yesterday claimed that there is “credible evidence” of Indian involvement in the attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in the city on March 3 and a terrorist siege of the police training centre at Manawan on March 30. He also said that both attacks were carried out by “pro-India Afghans”.
Eight persons were killed and over 20 others, including Sri Lankan players, were injured when a dozen terrorists ambushed the team’s motorcade. None of the attackers have been arrested so far.
Eight police recruits were killed when terrorists stormed the Manawan Police Academy near here. Pakistan Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud claimed responsibility for this attack. (With PTI inputs)