Obama to Zardari: Nato raid not deliberate attack | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 13, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Obama to Zardari: Nato raid not deliberate attack

US President Barack Obama telephoned his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari on Monday to express his condolence over the death of 24 Pakistani soldiers in a Nato air strike last week.

world Updated: Dec 06, 2011 01:57 IST
Agencies

US President Barack Obama telephoned his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari on Monday to express his condolence over the death of 24 Pakistani soldiers in a Nato air strike last week and told him the “regrettable” incident was not a “deliberate attack”.

The incident has thrown the already fragile US-Pakistan ties into a tizzy, with Pakistan boycotting the Bonn conference to discuss the future of Afghanistan. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/HTEditImages/Images/06-12-pg19a.jpg

“Earlier today the President called Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari to personally express his condolences on the tragic loss of twenty-four Pakistani soldiers this past week along the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan,” the White House said in a statement.

“The President made clear that this regrettable incident was not a deliberate attack on Pakistan and reiterated the United States’ strong commitment to a full investigation,” the White House said.

During the roughly 30-minute call, the two Presidents reaffirmed their commitment to the US-Pakistan bilateral relationship, which is critical to the security of both nations, and they agreed to stay in close touch, said the statement.

Pak to review Nato, US accords: Gilani

Pakistan will review all its agreements with the US and Nato in the aftermath of the November 26 airstrike, prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Monday.

Gilani said the Pakistani government has decided to review the agreements made by then president Pervez Musharraf’s government with the US, Nato, UN and the International Security Assistance Force.