The H1N1 virus has likely infected more than 1,000 people in New York city but all have either been cured or are improving, city health authorities said.
Up to now 62 cases have been confirmed to be H1N1 cases, the health department said yesterday in a statement, adding that it is waiting confirmation results for 17 probable cases from the Centers for Disease Control.
"With more than 1,000 likely cases, there has been no severe illness from H1N1 recognised to date," the Department said.
Up to now "nearly all confirmed and probable cases have been mild, and all of the affected people have recovered or are recovering.
"No deaths have been associated with the illness in New York City."
Although the virus "is likely spreading in the community," said New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden, "it does not appear to have caused more severe illness than seasonal flu so far in New York City, and seasonal flu can be serious."
Of the confirmed H1N1 cases, 59 come from the Saint Francis school in the borough of Queens and a nearby school for autistic children. Saint Francis is expected to open for class tomorrow, and the autistic school re-open on Wednesday, officials said.
The number of confirmed US swine flu cases stands at 160 spread across 21 states, including one death.