One dead, 28 sickened by carbon monoxide at New York mall | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 30, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

One dead, 28 sickened by carbon monoxide at New York mall

One man died and 28 people were rushed to hospitals after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning at a mall on New York's Long Island on Saturday evening, police said.

world Updated: Feb 23, 2014 10:55 IST

One man died and 28 people were rushed to hospitals after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning at a mall on New York's Long Island on Saturday evening, police said.

A 55-year-old man died of cardiac arrest as he was being taken by ambulance from Legal Sea Foods in a mall in Huntington, New York, said Julie Robinson-Tingue, a spokeswoman for Huntington Hospital.

At least three people taken to the hospital remained hospitalized in stable condition while at least six were treated and released, she said.

In all, 28 people were taken to hospitals, according to the Suffolk County Police Department.

Those sickened include four police officers and five ambulance employees, said Andrea Golinsky, spokeswoman for the Huntington Community First Aid Squad.

Two employees of Legal Sea Foods were in the basement of the building when they were overcome by carbon monoxide, she said.