One dead, nine hurt in attack on African football stars | world | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 22, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

One dead, nine hurt in attack on African football stars

Gunmen shot at buses carrying Togo's football team to the African Nations Cup in Angola, leaving one dead and nine wounded, but organisers insisted the tournament would go ahead.

world Updated: Jan 09, 2010 10:35 IST

Gunmen shot at buses carrying Togo's football team to the African Nations Cup in Angola, leaving one dead and nine wounded, but organisers insisted the tournament would go ahead.

Two players were among the injured, while a driver was killed as bullets sprayed at the team's vehicles as they crossed into Angola's restive Cabinda province on Friday from Congo-Brazzaville, according to a Togo official.

Many dived under their seats when the gunfire started. Squad member Thomas Dossevi said the team -- one of the strongest in African football -- had been "fired on like dogs".

Two players -- goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale and defender Serge Akakpo -- were among the wounded, Dossevi told AFP.

"The assailants were hooded and armed to the teeth. We stayed under the seats for 20 minutes. It was horrible."

Two English Premiership players -- Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor and Aston Villa midfielder Moustapha
Salifou -- emerged unharmed from the attack, their clubs said.

Angola's government denounced the attack by the separatist Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda
(FLEC), and in a statement "reiterated its total commitment to guaranteeing everyone's security".