An Australian court on Wednesday favoured the release of two teenage brothers, who spent less than a year in youth detention for racially assaulting a group of Indians, even as it termed the attack which left one of the victims with permanent brain injuries as "extraordinarily grave".
Victorian County Court judge Christine Thornton said that because the two, aged 17 and 18, were "children" she should indicate that they would not be locked up again for the December 2008 incident, according to AAP.
However, Thornton described the assault as "extraordinarily grave".
The re-sentencing of the two boys, who served less than a year in youth detention, is set to take place shortly after Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) appealed against their sentences.
As per the appeal system, Thornton is required to re-sentence the duo, even if she does not increase their jail terms, the report said.
The two brothers carried out an unprovoked attack in an Indian convenience store in Sunshine, where eight men were injured, including one who spent 15 days in coma and was left with permanent brain injuries.
Chief Crown prosecutor Gavin Silbert SC told the court that the older youth smashed 27-year old Sukhraj Singh with a piece of wood, leaving him unconscious and bleeding with multiple skull and face fractures.
Singh had been told his injuries were permanent and there was a chance he would suffer from epilepsy.