Pakistan government has blamed the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi for recent bomb attacks on Shia processions in Karachi that killed at least 43 people and said the militant group has joined Taliban and al-Qaeda to form a "triangular syndicate" to destabilise the country.
"The people behind all three blasts (targeting Shia processions) in Karachi have been arrested. The banned outfit Lashkar-e-Jhangvi was behind these attacks," Interior Minister Malik said in the National Assembly or lower house of Parliament last night.
The Lashkar-e-Jhangvi has joined the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan and al-Qaeda to form a "triangular syndicate" to destabilise the country but the government will foil their designs, Malik said. Three Shia processions during the Islamic holy month of Muharram were attacked in the southern port city of Karachi on December 26, 27 and 28.
The third attack was the most deadly as 43 people, including women and children, lost their lives. Authorities initially claimed the third attack was carried out by a suicide bomber. A faction of the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack on December 30, saying it was carried out by a suicide bomber.
However, Malik said earlier this month that the Shia procession was targeted with a bomb planted by the roadside.