Pak claims victory in militant stronghold
Pakistan's army claims to have routed Taliban militants in a stronghold near the Afghan border but turned up no sign of Osama bin Laden or al-Qaida No 2 Ayman al-Zawahri.world Updated: Sep 02, 2008 08:47 IST
Pakistan's army claims to have routed Taliban militants in a stronghold near the Afghan border but turned up no sign of Osama bin Laden or al-Qaida No 2 Ayman al-Zawahri. The government ordered a halt to the operation to allow some of the 300,000 families who fled airstrikes and combat in the Bajur region to return home for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins Tuesday in Pakistan.
However, officials reported that troops fired on militants seen moving toward a security post late Monday, and that stray mortar shells killed at least two civilians.
US officials recently stepped up calls for Pakistan to put more pressure on militants using bases in its remote tribal areas to mount cross-border attacks also on NATO and government troops in Afghanistan.
Some analysts have warned that the pause in the weeks-long Bajur operation would only allow the militants to regroup. Pakistani officials said Monday, however, that their forces had killed some 560 Pakistani and foreign fighters and thwarted a push to make Bajur into a militant fortress.
Army spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas said about 20 members of the security forces died and 30 were missing.
"In our view, the back has been broken," army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas told The Associated Press. "Main leaders are on the run and the people of the area are now openly defying whatever the militants had achieved there."
Officials including former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf have mentioned Bajur as a possible hiding place for bin Laden or al-Zawahri.
Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik said Monday that authorities also received a report that al-Zawahri's wife had been in the neighboring tribal region of Mohmand.
Pakistani forces stormed the location but didn't find the couple, he said.
Pakistan's five-month-old government initially held peace talks with Taliban and al-Qaida-linked militants living in mountainous border regions.
It has struck several accords, some of which remain in place, but has also turned to force against hard-liners in Bajur and the nearby Swat region, pounding suspected hideouts with helicopter gunships and fighter jets.
Taliban spokesman Maulvi Umar, whom Abbas claimed had been put to flight, was still able to tell an AP reporter on Monday by telephone that he welcomed the lull in fighting.
However, he said militants would not lay down their arms as demanded.
Defense analyst Talat Masood said the suspension of military operations in Bajur risked squandering any gains made by security forces so far.
"Definitely it will give a fair chance to the militants to regroup, consolidate their strength and stage a comeback," he said. "This has happened in the past."