Pak: Court order to release 26/11 attack accused Lakhvi challenged

  • Imtiaz Ahmad, Hindustan Times, Islamabad
  • Updated: Apr 15, 2015 00:42 IST

In what is being seen as a move by the government to once again detain Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, the mastermind of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks, the provincial Punjab government on Tuesday challenged an order of the Lahore High Court (LHC) wherein it suspended Lakhvi’s detention orders earlier this month.

The Punjab government challenged the order before the Supreme Court. Earlier, on April 9, a single bench of the LHC ordered release of Lakhvi after suspending detention orders issued under the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) rules.

The court had asked for evidence against Lakhvi which the government had “failed to provide” to the satisfaction of the bench.

In its appeal on Tuesday, the Punjab government stated that the LHC ordered the release of Lakhvi without realising the sensitivity of the secret information presented against him in court.

It said that Lakhvi’s release would affect the trial since it may influence the statements that the prosecution’s witnesses planned to record against him. The appeal added that there may be further unrest in the country following Lakhvi’s release.

The Islamabad High Court on Monday had directed the anti-terrorism court to wrap up the Lakhvi trial within two months.

In a related development, on Tuesday, Lakhvi withdrew a contempt of court petition pending with the Islamabad High Court challenging his detention orders for 30 days under MPO saying he has already been given relief by another court in this regard.

also read

Trump: I’ll run America like my business, Clinton says let’s not
Show comments